More than a dozen artists are joining forces for a special tribute project to outlaw country singer-songwriter Billy Joe Shaver, who died in October 2020. He was 81. Shaver will be honored via a new tribute album, which will feature performances by Miranda Lambert, Willie Nelson, George Strait, Amanda Shires, Allison Russell and more.
Live Forever: A Tribute to Billy Joe Shaver is set to release on November 11. The description of the 12-track collection from New West Records reads:
“Billy Joe Shaver’s songs were stories of his life; they were real, and they were raw. Many artists have covered Billy Joe songs over the years: from Willie to Waylon, to Elvis and Cash. Billy Joe’s influence on some of the greatest of artists is what inspired this project. Now, with Live Forever: A Tribute to Billy Joe Shaver a whole new batch of artists and songwriters are taking their cut at one of the greatest songwriting catalogs of all time. This album is a testament to Billy Joe’s words and the deep impact they had on so many wonderful songwriters and performers. He’s a hero to so many, and New West is honored to pay homage to the legacy of Billy Joe Shaver. Just like the songs he left behind him, he’s gonna live forever now.”
See the star-studded track list here:
- Willie Nelson Feat. Lucinda Williams - "I’m Gonna Live Forever"
- Ryan Bingham Feat. Nikki Lane - "Ride Me Down Easy"
- Rodney Crowell - "Old Five And Dimers Like Me"
- Miranda Lambert - "I’m Just An Old Chunk Of Coal (But I’m Gonna Be A Diamond Someday)"
- Edie Brickell - "I Couldn’t Be Me Without You"
- Nathaniel Rateliff - "You Asked Me To"
- George Strait - "Willy The Wandering Gypsy And Me"
- Amanda Shires Feat. Jason Isbell - "Honky Tonk Heroes"
- Steve Earle - "Ain’t No God In Mexico"
- Margo Price Feat. Joshua Hedley - "Ragged Old Truck"
- Willie Nelson - "Georgia On A Fast Train"
- Allison Russell - "Tramp On Your Street"